Random Recents

  • at what age do you get over your birthday? at what age do you NEED to get over your birthday?? (9.6.09)
  • this fall semester (last major hurdle) is gonna be like that last 15 minutes of labor (so i've heard)...push it out AY! get it DONE! (9.6.09)
  • it ain't right. it ain't fair. how i've been away from this site that i use partially as my outlet. but i'm back. and trying to make a schedule of sharing time. a lot has happened. let's see how much of it matters. (9.2.09)
  • is seduction still in? (7.26.09)
  • damn, i ain't been here in a minute! (7.26.09)
  • it's july 4th people, i know. great bbq day for all! but please, remember how we really colonized this mofo. with mass genocide. remember your history! (7.4.09)
  • speechless. don't think it's hit me yet. R.I.P. Ed, Farrah & Michael. this week is too much! (6.25.09)

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Serenity. More Ways Than One.

"God, give us grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed, courage to change the things that should be changed, and the wisdom to distinguish the one from the other." - Reinhold Neibuhr
"O God and Heavenly Father,
Grant to us the serenity of mind to accept that which cannot be changed; the courage to change that which can be changed, and the wisdom to know the one from the other, through Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen." - Queries and Answers
"For every ailment under the sun
There is a remedy, or there is none;
If there be one, try to find it;
If there be none, never mind it." - W.W. Bartley
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference." - Alcoholics Anonymous
"God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
As it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
If I surrender to His Will;
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life
And supremely happy with Him
Forever and ever in the next." - Unknown
Whoever said it, however you want to spin it, serenity is something we all long for; something we all need a bit of; something that seems impossible to attain, and something we cannot get from our external world.

I'm slowly learning that my own personal serenity has to come from within...I can't blame my supposed lack of it on my busy school schedule, my clients, my dissertation; no. I can't blame it on family illness, break ups, bad friends...I've been so caught up in the serenity of the world; the serenity that I think others have that I don't; the serenity of those in good relationships, with good friends, good food, satisfying careers, etc. But, why am I so caught up in the comparison? Why is his/her serenity any more valuable than my own? How dare I even try to place value on mine and other's peace?


No comments: